Promoting British Values
What are ‘fundamental British values’?
Schools are required to provide for the spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development of their pupils, including the active promotion of fundamental British values.
The government defines these as:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect and tolerance of different faiths and beliefsAs a Catholic school, this is a priority at Mount Carmel reinforcing our core Christian values: Forgiveness, Hope, Love, Trust, Friendship, Justice, Peace and Wisdom.
What does this mean for my child?
- Our work in promoting fundamental British values is designed, alongside our Christian ethos, to prepare children for life in modern Britain. Ultimately, we aim to help pupils understand:
- The importance of combating discrimination
- How we can influence decision-making by taking part in democratic processes like voting and petitioning
- The freedom under British law to choose different faiths and beliefs
- That the law is there to keep us safe
How is this happening at Mount Carmel High?
Christian virtues and British values are reflected throughout our school in our ethos, policies and assemblies. Pupils are reminded of Jesus’ words to:
“Love God” and “Love one another”
Many opportunities also occur within the curriculum, for example where pupils learn about different cultures and religions; and the importance of rules throughout school life. We also have themed Assemblies which look for every opportunity to reinforce the core messages throughout the year. Student council activities enable pupils to vote in year council elections, complete questionnaires, have their opinions heard and as a result, learn about democracy.
Our duty to actively promote fundamental British values means that we always present political views to children in a balanced way. We are also responsible for challenging prejudiced or extreme opinions and behaviour.
As part of this responsibility, we have put measures in place to protect children from exposure to extremist views. Please contact Mr D Sweeney at email@example.com if you would like more information about this.
Promoting British values has only reinforced, not changed, our current Christian ethos.