Olympic athlete helps celebrate Secondary School of the Year Award
COMMUNITY SPORTS AWARD CELEBRATION DAY
To celebrate Mount Carmel’s recent award from Hyndburn Leisure as Secondary School of the Year for Community Sports Olympic 1500m athlete Laura Weightman was invited to spend a day at the school.
She delivered a series of ‘Raising Aspirations’ assemblies to pupils from all year groups, she then worked with groups of pupils throughout the day instructing them on training techniques along with stretching & warming up exercises. Mount Carmel pupil sports leaders were invited to have refreshments with Laura and they took the opportunity to ask her lots of probing questions!
Laura is a British middle distance runner and she reached the finals of both the Rio and London Olympics. She has also won the silver medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games and the Bronze medal at the 2014 European Championships in London.
Her next aim is to compete at the 2017 World Championships in London, where she is confident she can win a medal.
Mount Carmel recently won the award as Secondary School of the Year for Community Sports during a ceremony held at Accrington Town Hall. The awards recognise the achievements of local clubs, teams, schools, coaches, individual athletes and volunteers from around the Borough.
Ms Gaynor Gallagher, Curriculum Leader for P.E. and Assistant Headteacher Miss Kathy McNicholas attended the event and were delighted to receive the Hyndburn Leisure award for Secondary School of the Year, sponsored by The Cardboard Box Company.
Chairman of The Cardboard Box Company, Mr Peter Street kindly agreed to attend the assemblies at Mount Carmel to re-present the award to the school enabling pupils to appreciate the significance of the award.
The award was won based on the many aspects of sport and fitness provided by the school and their involvement in community activities.
Here are some of the aspects the school regularly provides;
- Involvement in many district sports events including cricket, football, basketball, netball, cross country, badminton, handball and many more
- Provision of a wide range of extra-curricular activities, many of which are supported by pupil sports leaders
- Successful Healthy hearts project combining fitness sessions with food nutrition and preparation
- Inter-Primary school sports competitions hosted and supported by Mount Carmel
- Use of school facilities for community sports clubs and fitness groups
- Regular partnership activities with Accrington Stanley
- Involvement in Sky Sports initiatives
- Application for Sports Mark Award