Catering GCSE is offered to our
Key Stage 4 students.
If you are interested in a career in catering, would love to be the next Jamie Oliver, or learn a range of skills that you can use for the rest of your life? Then Catering GCSE is the course for you.
What will I be doing if I choose Catering?
- Learn a variety of food preparation techniques
- Work with a broad range of food products
- Make a wide range of dishes using the main commodities
- Visit local catering colleges and catering establishments
- Listen to guest speakers from the food Industry
- Possibility of entering cookery competitions and the opportunity to take part in supplementary catering cooking sessions run by local colleges
- Opportunity to take the Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering, which is a recognized qualification
The course is suitable for students who have an interest in working with food, catering and hospitality. The course concentrates on the practical skills required in food preparation.
How is the GCSE assessed?
Year 10 Controlled Assessment 1 (15 hours)
20% of total grade
Task 1 – Afternoon Tea
Completed in the Summer Term students produce Afternoon tea served for 2 people with 2 savoury and 2 sweet dishes with accompanying written coursework.
Year 11 Controlled Assessment 2 (30 hours)
40% of total grade
Task 2 – A 2 course International meal with full side dishes
The student decides on a country of choice and spends time during the year researching food from that area, as well as practicing starters, main courses and desserts from the country before the exam. This is supported with written coursework.
Year 11 Written Exam Paper (1¼ hours) 40% of total grade
Synopsis of the syllabus
The purpose of the course is to provide students with an in-depth knowledge of how the catering industry works, covering types of food outlets, careers in catering, food service and preparation.
Signposts/After leaving school?
The course will create opportunities for students in a wide variety of Design fields that are available in further education and will develop valuable life-skills such as teamwork, communication, organisation and initiative.