'Next Steps' primary transition programme
Our transition programme includes a wide range of events, visits and activities specifically arranged for our partnership of primary schools. These experiences help make primary pupils feel more confident, happy and familiar with a secondary school environment, ensuring the ‘next step’ to Mount Carmel is made as smooth as possible for your child.
Here are examples of a few of the events we hold:
- A curriculum enrichment programme takes place involving 8 partner schools over 30 weeks. Subjects delivered to Year 5 pupils include English, Spanish, Science, Design Technology, Food Technology and P.E. Pupils either come to Mount Carmel to use our fantastic facilities or Mount Carmel staff go to the primary schools.
- Inter-primary Maths, English and Science quizzes take place in the Autumn and Spring terms for teams of Year 5 and Year 6 pupils from partner primary schools
- Partnership events and activities take place around Christmas including a joint carol concert and community carol singing
- Partnership chaplaincy activities and events
- Partner primary schools are invited to free matinee performances of school productions
- A primary partnership ECO Champions Day takes place
- Inter-primary sports tournaments
- Mount Carmel newsletters distributed to pupils in partner schools and Parishes
- Year 5 pupils from partner schools are invited to visit in the Summer term for a ‘Next Steps’ taster day. They participate in a range of activities and have lunch in the Twelve Star Diner.
- Once a place has been confirmed at Mount Carmel pupils and their families are invited to an informal Welcome Evening
- Mount Carmel’s Year 7 Pastoral Leader visits pupils at their primary school to introduce herself and answer any queries
- A ‘Step Up’ day is arranged in July for all the new intake of pupils, to enable them to meet form tutors and other pupils and to familiarise themselves with their new school